Gluten-Free Pierogi

Post image for Gluten-Free Pierogi

by Lauren | Celiac Teen on August 14, 2010

Oh yes.  Gluten-free pierogi.  This recipe was so well-loved by my family that I made it twice in 3 days.  I rolled some thicker, some thinner, and it all went together flawlessly.  The taste was even better.  Everyone enjoyed them and my brother’s voice fell in the way only a fourteen-year-old boy’s can when I told him that no, there were no more.

I’ve made them just about every way. Make and boil right away, save leftover boiled ones in the fridge, panfry leftovers, microwave leftovers, or even freeze just-made ones and boil from frozen. It all worked. It all worked beautifully. I don’t think there was a way that I preferred. Everything was comforting and pleasing.

The August 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge was hosted by LizG of Bits n’ Bites and Anula of Anula’s Kitchen. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make pierogi from scratch and an optional challenge to provide one filling that best represents their locale.

I made a basic dough and filled almost all of them with a ricotta mixture. It was the perfect filling for my family and I. Mom loved every bite and Dad even declared “Pierogi Madness”. Yup. These ones did it. They’re here to stay. Thank you so much to Liz and Anula for introducing them!

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

I adored this dough. I could work with it all day (or at least until it was time to eat :) ).

So simple. Lots of rolling and lots of cutting of circles, but that simply made it more and more fun.

When they were formed, they looked like this. I wish I had a bowl of these in front of me right now, because that would mean that a meal of them would be only 5 (okay, maybe 8, including cooling time) minutes away.

The boiled beauties. I need to make these often, or possibly teach my brother. With an end result like this, I know he could be game (at least more likely than many other things!).

With the few that were leftover, I panfried some for a second meal. Top with some sour cream and good cheese and you’re golden. These were fantastic.

Now, before I say goodbye today, I would like to invite you to something (short notice, yes – I’m sorry for that). On Monday, I will be sharing my worst kitchen disasters. Those that we like to forget about. Those that help us learn the most. Those that were so incredibly bad that we ended up laughing because of how bad they were. Do you have those too? I thought so :). What I’m asking is simple: post about it on monday. Maybe it’s a few paragraphs, maybe it’s a few photos, maybe you dismissed it before any photos could be taken. Whatever the case, I can’t wait to see you back here then. I’ll link to all of the submissions, so we can all laugh and learn together!

xoxo
Lauren

Twitter, Facebook and Flickr.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • Share/Bookmark

{ 5 trackbacks }

Weekly Menu Plan – August 15, 2010 « Gluten-free is Life
August 15, 2010 at 7:12 pm
Homemade Gelatin-Free “Jello” (plus Goldbaum’s Giveaway Winners) | Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom
August 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm
Gluten-Free Menu Swap: Make Your Own/Do It Yourself « Gluten-Free Smiles
February 28, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Recipe for Gluten Free, Sugar Free Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; 8/17/10
March 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm
Gluten-Free Pierogi by celiacteen.com « A Celiac in Toronto
November 9, 2012 at 11:25 am

{ 52 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jenn August 14, 2010 at 1:39 am

Gorgeous, like giant raviolis :) Beautiful job on the challenge! I’ll be joining in on Monday, I already know what to talk about!

2 Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli August 14, 2010 at 3:49 am

Yummy! Rolling and cutting dough is my nemesis but I think it would be worth it for these tasty lovelies! I love Pierogies and my kids love them.
And I think I will join you in kitchen disasters on Monday.

3 Hallie @ Daily Bites August 14, 2010 at 8:03 am

How fun. I’ll be joining in on Monday’s kitchen disasters theme. Can’t wait to hear some of yours! :)

4 Cheryl Arkison August 14, 2010 at 8:37 am

I’ll admit, I was scared when I saw the challenge. Seems out of season. And I wondered if you were going to do it. After you left I actually thought out it and wondered if it was possible GF. Glad to see that it is!

5 Asha@FSK August 14, 2010 at 8:59 am

I agree, this recipe lends itself beautifully to gluten free!! I wanted to make mine with rice flour, only to find that I was sadly running low. So I did part rice flour recipe :)) I like your ricotta filling.. simple and light

6 Lindsay at Kitchen Operas August 14, 2010 at 9:39 am

GORGEOUS!
Looks like the gluten-free version worked so well for you — congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

And yum, I *must* give these a go sometime.

7 Feng August 14, 2010 at 9:56 am

well done for making your gluten free versions, they look delicious!

8 Mary August 14, 2010 at 11:36 am

These look wonderful, and I bet the ricotta filling was delicious! So glad the gluten-free version worked so well, and I see plenty of pierogies in your future!

9 Celiacs in the House August 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

Your family must be so glad you became a gluten-free blogger. Those pierogies look beautiful. I used to buy frozen ones and panfry them and serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole before we knew what celiac disease was. :) Maybe I’ll get brave and try your recipe. It can’t be any harder than ravioli and I’ve done that.
wendy

10 Ruth H. August 14, 2010 at 11:54 am

Great job! If you can get a 14 year old boy – a brother, no less! – that excited about something you cooked, you know you are on to something good! I am so glad you found a successful gluten free recipe!

11 Tessa August 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Lauren these look fantastic! I’m always amazed at how you turn pretty much any recipe into a gluten-free one. That dough looks perfect.

12 Jennifer August 14, 2010 at 12:18 pm

WOW! what a good looking recipe, I am going to try these soon:)

13 Erica Lea August 14, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I have never made Pierogi, but they look delicious — especially that last photo. I’m a sucker for sour cream & cheese.

What a wonderful idea – to share our kitchen “flops.” Not sure if I’ll be able to join in…Can’t wait to see what everyone shares.

14 elle August 14, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Can you teach an old dog new tricks? I hope so! I saw you making pies at Cheryl’s and I just had to come for a visit. I’m a quilter not a cook but a quilter still needs to keep up her strength. lol Pierogi!!! woo hoo

15 Theresa August 14, 2010 at 8:10 pm

You know it’s good when your family loves it too! :) I’ll have to give this recipe a go, it looks SO good!

16 carrie August 15, 2010 at 2:34 am

oh, fantastic! i recently found your blog through gluten free girl and i must say, you are so inspiring! it’s hard to believe you’re only 17! thank you so much for sharing your delicious recipes. i can’t wait to try these gluten free pierogis (as i’ve been looking for some for ages) and all of your other recipes. :)

17 Sue August 15, 2010 at 8:32 am

Do you think I could make cheese raviolis with this dough? The pierogies look so tasty.

18 Lauren | Celiac Teen August 15, 2010 at 9:04 am

Sue, I haven’t tried it yet, but you likely could. I would just be careful to make sure the dough is rolled thin enough (but not so thin it will break) and the edges are sealed really well :).

19 Anula August 15, 2010 at 9:35 am

Great looking pierogi! You did a wonderful job :)
Thank you for taking part this month.

Cheers. Anula.

20 Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 15, 2010 at 10:30 am

Absolutely fabulous Lauren – so glad your family enjoyed them too. They’re lucky to have you around!!!!

21 chef_d August 15, 2010 at 11:42 am

Wow, your pierogis all look even and perfect! Great job on this challenge!

22 Valérie August 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Amazing job, Lauren! I’m glad your gluten-free version was such a success!

23 Jenni August 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Lovely job! Your pierogi look absolutely beautiful!!

24 Alta August 16, 2010 at 7:34 am

Lauren, these look so lovely! I love that you pan-fried them – I tried both ways and the pan-frying definitely added a lovely texture. A treat of the highest degree!

25 carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com August 17, 2010 at 6:15 am

Lovely Lauren!!! I LOVE Pierogies! Thomas at the GF/CF Experience made them a few years ago and I had to try his recipe when he made them. My husband and I were in heaven eating them!!! These look so delicious!!

26 Cheri August 17, 2010 at 7:29 am

Yay! My mom made fresh perogies for us all the time growing up. I loved them so much! Her and my dad just became gluten-free last year. I am for sure going to send her this recipe. Your perogies look perfect, by the way, much better then mine ever do. :) Good going Lauren!

27 Lisa August 18, 2010 at 6:42 am

Your pierogi look beautiful, Lauren. Love both fillings – the white bean pesto intrigues me and sounds wonderful :)

28 Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free August 18, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Gorgeous & very well done!! I love the multiple fillings, too. Thanks for linking up this fab recipe! Hugs!!

29 Sara @ Belly Rumbles August 22, 2010 at 3:57 am

They look wonderful, you would never know they were gluten free. Thank you for this version.

30 kathy August 24, 2010 at 10:00 am

have you ever tried perogies with strawberry filling? of coarse we call them verenekie but they are the same, my mother always makes a desert one with strawberries. For those in the family here in calgary – one of us always invites her from the kootenays during strawberry season then we put her to work and we all pig out. They are to die for you should try them, just cut up strawberries and sugar to taste then after filling up the dough just toss themin a pot of water. We are known to stand around the pot waiting for the batch to come out of the pot with our forks poised to grab. A little splash of whipping cream always goes good

31 Lauren | Celiac Teen August 24, 2010 at 11:12 am

Kathy, that sounds delicious! Thank you for the idea :).

32 Kristine September 18, 2010 at 10:20 am

I made these last night! The dough is super wonderful to work with and I used a martini glass to cut them out so they were a lot bigger than yours! I doubled the batch and got 44 pierogi total. Two kinds of filling were potatoes/romano/parmasean/garlic/butter & Polish sauerkraut/other half of the potato mixture.

This was my first attempt at making anything GF and what a great way to start! I have a Vitamix dry blender, so I made my own millet flour and brown rice flour and the rest of the stuff was purchased. Can’t wait to try more recipes in the future!

33 Heather K September 18, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I made these today for my husband’s birthday! For a half batch: I substituted plain goat’s milk yogurt for the cream and used one whole egg instead of 1.5 egg whites. For filling, I cooked a pot of finely chopped collard greens with onions (collards are a cousin of cabbage), drained then sauteed them in a bit of butter to cook off the liquid. After boiling them, I pan fried them in butter with onions.

Pierogi is my husband’s ultimate childhood comfort food, and this was our first attempt at making them since going GF. These were delicious and will definitely be made again! Thank you so much for sharing this.

Debmom4ca Reply:

Heather, thanks for the tips. I can’t have cows milk but I can have goat. I was hoping there was a way to make them work.

34 Tanya December 29, 2010 at 12:03 am

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I’ve been wishing for a gluten free recipe since going gluten free 6 years ago. This made our night and these will be going to a nye party in a few days. Think I am going to make some traditional and some with a artichoke dip in them. yum!

35 Frank January 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Hi,
I’ve recently become wheat intolerant, and, have been looking for replacement recipes for some of my favorite dishes. This dough is excellent! I used it to make raviolis filled with a ricotta filling similar to yours, and, they were delicious. I cut some of the dough into noodles, and, they tasted better than homemade noodles out of regular flour. I will be making pierogis also, with cabbage and with potatoes. Thanks so much for this recipe.

36 Jeremy Roberts September 1, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Thanks for this recipe! Pierogi are just awesome and now my coeliac wife and I can enjoy them together – she’s never had one! Time for me to whip out the chef hat :)

37 Kelly September 3, 2011 at 11:39 am

Thanks. We are adopting from Eastern Europe and newly gluten free. Now we can have the best of both and give our little guy food he knows that won’t be bad for one of my other children.

38 Leanne October 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Thank you so much, Lauren. My husband was recently diagnosed as gluten intolerant, and I have been struggling to find replacements for our family favorites. I grew up on pierogies, and your recipe is amazingly close to the “real thing.” I used superfine sweet rice flour from the asian markets, and had to seriously increase the amount of flour used to make up for the finer texture, but I can’t say enough good things about the end result. Bless you for keeping a family tradition alive in our home :)

39 Tricia December 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I am so glad that you blog, my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease two days ago and I am overwhelmed on what to cook. We celebrate Ukrainian Christmas and were worried how to make pierogies. We no longer live in Calgary where it might be easier, but live in Texas where finding a regular pierogi is difficult enough. We will try your recipe along with others to see how it works. I look forward to your other recipes too. Thank you for sharing!

40 Constance March 24, 2012 at 7:16 am

These look SOOO yummy! Is there any other flour I can use instead of Millet? It’s the only ingredient of this recipe I don’t have on hand. Thanks!

41 Jules July 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

Amazing! I cannot wait to try making these. Thanks Lauren!

Jules Reply:

I made these pierogies but didn’t have the millet flour so used white rice in place of it and stuffed them with spinach and ricotta and they were fabulous! thank you for the recipe and your blog is wonderful.

Sheree Reply:

Did you sub cup for cup or by weight? The battery on my scale died this morning :/ and I haven’t bought millet flour since we first went gluten-free 2years ago. I was thinking of subbing rice flour for the millet and hoping it would work.

42 Elana November 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I am 55 years old and was diagnosed with hashimotos 2 years ago and have been Gluten Free ever since. I watched my Ukranian grandmother and then my mother make these since I was born and it has made me sick that I could no longer eat them. I made this recipe with a few variations and they turned out PERFECT. I wish I could submit photos. To the dough I added on egg yolk. this gave the dough the perfect color. The filling was half mashed potatoes and half ricotta cheese with 1 TBSP butter and 1//2 onion sauted in minimal butter and salt and pepper with one more egg yolk added. These were not only picture perfect they tasted amazing and were made almost exactly like my grandmothers and her mothers and her mothers etc…all born in the Ukraine. How special that I can now continue on this tradition of homemade petehe’ ( as we call them in Ukranian). My own daughter helped me make them. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this recipe.

43 Melissa December 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thank you so much for saving my Christmas! I’m still getting use to being gluten free and thought I would not be able to have pierogi’s at my Polish family Christmas dinner. They turned out great!

44 Jennifer February 3, 2013 at 12:36 am

I just made these, and they are fantastic!! I actually grabbed an idea from another blog to make samosas using your recipe for the dough. I baked them with a curried chicken filling, and I am going to have to pack them away soon because I can’t stop eating them! The next test will be on my boys as soon as they get home! Thanks so much!

45 Lydia February 12, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I’m making dinner fir my family and 4 of my siblings are gluten free. I was wondering could you do the dough and stuff them a day early and just keep them in the fridge?

46 Lauren | Celiac Teen February 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Lydia, although I’ve never made them to keep in the fridge (I always opted for the freezer to keep them for longer periods), I’m sure that would be fine!

Lydia Reply:

Thanks so much for replying I will tell you how they turn out!

47 Gluten Free Traveller February 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm

These look fantastic! I love perogis :)

48 Katelyn March 15, 2013 at 4:17 am

I saw several people talk about the rolling out of the dough for pierogi. I make them fairly often using a pasta roller (the roller not the cutters). Here is how:

Once you make the dough, flatten it slightly with your hand so that it can fit into the pasta machine. On the widest setting (usually 0 or 1) pass the dough through. Then fold it in thirds. Rotate dough 90 degrees and run through it the machine again still at widest setting. Again fold it in thirds, rotate 90 degrees and repeat. Continue until the dough has a good consistency.

Then set the roller to the next smaller setting (so 2) and run the dough through. Run the dough through just once at each smaller setting. Usually a good thickness is achieved around a mid-range on a pasta roller (such as a 4 setting on a roller with 8 settings).

Then cut out our pierogi and continue the process. The pasta maker just takes the back breaking rolling out of the process.

49 Rosanne March 23, 2013 at 8:08 am

I made these for the first time last Easter. They came out great and the experience of making them was not as difficult as I had imagined. This is because I made them many years ago as a teenager before I knew I had Celiac disease and the dough came out very chewy and tough. Horrible experience as I recall and I never made them again until I tried your recipe. Great work and thank you for sharing this. My daughter and sister, who both have Celiac disease, loved them!!!! I will be making them next week for Easter again…..can’t wait!

50 Bev November 11, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hi

I want to make the perogi but have a couple of questions. Can you suggest a substitute for the whipping cream and egg whites I am allergic to both dairy and egg whites. I can use yolks. Also, the millet flour I have is dark and yet the picture of your perogies makes them look white.

Thanks bev